“For this is how much God loved the world, he gave his one and only, unique Son as a gift. So now everyone who believes in him will never perish but experience everlasting life.” – John 3:16 (The Passion)
At Easter’s approach, people get excited about celebrating Christ’s resurrection and all that it means in their lives. But His resurrection wouldn’t mean nearly as much without His sacrifice on the cross and His work in people’s lives in the world today.
It might be tempting just to Skip Lent – the traditional 40-day period of reflection from Ash Wednesday through Easter that commemorates Christ’s own time of hardship and reflection in the desert. But doing so would deprive us of many opportunities to invite God to transform our life. If you take advantage of those opportunities, you’ll have deeper and richer reasons to celebrate when Easter arrives.
- Ask God to help you focus on the true meaning of Easter; after all, it wasn’t the Easter bunny who rose from the dead.
- Thank God for all the blessings He has given you – time, money, energy, talents, skills, etc. Then pray about how you can best use those blessings to serve God.
- Skip your favorite television program and use the time you would have spent watching it to pray or do a kindness for someone in need.
- Keep a daily journal to record the ways God is working in your life.
- Consider the discrimination that Christ suffered on earth and ask God to show you the ways you discriminate against people who are different from you.
Prayer: Lord, help us to not just give up something for Lent but to do something during Lent that will further your kingdom and make disciples for Jesus the Christ. Amen.
Max K. Jackson